Redmond Chair of Civil Engineering
Director, Croucher Laboratory of Environmental Hydraulics
Joseph H.W. LEE
BSc (Eng), Massachusetts Institute of Technology, U.S.A.
MSc, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, U.S.A.
PhD, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, U.S.A.
FREng, FASCE, FHKIE, FHKEng, MCIWEM
Office: HW 6-21
Phone: +852 28592672
Fax: +852 25595337
- CIVL 1005 Environmental Engineering
- CIVL 1006 Fluid Mechanics
- CIVL 2004 Hydraulics and Hydrology
- CIVL 3006 Engineering Hydraulics
- CIVL 6001 Integrated River Management (2002)
- CIVL 6024 Environmental Hydraulics
- CIVL 6050 Urban Hydrology and Hydraulics
- IAHR International Course on "Hydraulics and Design of Sea Outfalls" (2001, 2003, 2005)
- CPD Training courses on "Hydraulic and Water Quality Modeling"
- CPD Training course on “Hydraulics of vortex intake” (2008)
- Environmental hydraulics/fluid mechanics
- Water quality modelling
Research / Consultancy Projects (PI unless otherwise stated)
WATERMAN – water quality forecast and management system for Hong Kong, Hong Kong Jockey Club Charities Fund, 2008-2011.
UGC Area of Excellence on Marine Environmental Research and Innovative Technology
(MERIT), Hong Kong Research Grants Council (RGC) 2004-2009 (Co-PI)
- Integrated physical and ecological management of rivers - with particular reference to the East River,
Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC)/Hong Kong Research Grants Council (RGC) Joint Research Scheme, 2004-2007
- Real time hydro-environmental modelling and visualization system for public engagement, Hong Kong
Innovation and Technology Fund, 2006-2007
- Dynamics of algal blooms and red tides in sub-tropical coastal waters: monitoring, modelling and prediction,
Hong Kong RGC Group Research Project, 1999-2004
- Mixing of rosette jet group from ocean outfalls, RGC, 2003-2005
- Hydraulic model study of the Hong Kong West Drainage Tunnel Vortex Intake Structure, Black and Veatch,
and Hong Kong Drainage Services Department (DSD), 2003-2007
- Environmental and engineering feasibility assessment studies for the Harbour Area Treatment Scheme,
Camp Dresser and McKee International, 2002-2003
- Independent Reviewer for Deep Bay Water Quality Regional Control Strategy, Hong Kong Environmental
Protection Department, 1995-1997
Arega, F., Lee, J.H.W. and Tang, H.W. (2008). "Hydraulic jet control for river junction design of Yuen Long Bypass Floodway, Hong Kong", ASCE Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, 134(1), 23-33.
Choi, K.W. and Lee, J.H.W. (2007). "Distributed entrainment sink approach for modelling mixing and transport in the intermediate field",
Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, ASCE, 133(7), 804-815.
Wong, K.T.M., Lee, J.H.W. and Hodgkiss, I.J. (2007). "A simple model for forecast of coastal algal blooms",
Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, 74, 175-196.
Lee, J.H.W., Huang, Y., Dickman, M.D., and Jayawardena, A.W. (2003). "Neural network modelling of coastal algal blooms."
Ecological Modelling, 159,
Lee, J.H.W., and Chu, V.H. (2003).
Turbulent jets and plumes - A Lagrangian approach. Kluwer Academic Publishers.
Chu, V.H., and Lee, J.H.W. (1996). "A general integral formulation of turbulent buoyant jets in crossflow."
Journal of Hydraulic Engineering,
ASCE, 122(1), 27-34.
Lee, J.H.W., Wu, R.S.S., and Cheung, Y.K. (1991). "Forecasting of dissolved oxygen in marine fish culture zone."
Journal of Environmental Engineering
, ASCE, 117(6), 816-833.
Lee, J.H.W., and Cheung, V. (1990). "Generalized Lagrangian model for buoyant jets in a current."
Journal of Environmental
Engineering, ASCE, 116(6), 1085-1106.
Lee, J.H.W., and Neville-Jones, P. (1987). "Initial dilution of horizontal jet in crossflow." Journal of Hydraulic Engineering,
ASCE, 113, 615-629.
Lee, J.H.W., and Jirka, G.H. (1981). "Vertical round buoyant
jet in shallow water." Journal of the
Hydraulics Division, Proc. ASCE, 107(HY12), 1651-1675.
For more information of Ir Prof. Joseph H.W. Lee, please