Reader (Geotechnical Engineering)
Leslie George THAM
BSc (Eng) (First Class Honours), The University of Hong Kong, China
PhD, The University of Hong Kong,
Office: HW 6-28
Phone: +852 2859-1965
Fax: +852 25595337
- CIVL 2001 Engineering Design and Ccommunication
- CIVL 2003 Engineering Mathematics II
- CIVL 3023 Inter-disciplinary Design Project
- Foundation engineering
- Rock engineering
- Slope engineering
- Soil-structure interaction
- Numerical modeling
Research / Consultancy Projects
- Field monitoring and modelling of hydrogeological processes of a hillslope prone to
- Landslide induced wave in reservoir district and its effect on dams
- Real time digital drilling process monitoring and management system
- Land development by environmental vacuum preloading technique
- Independent review of use of non-destructive testing in quality control in soil nailing
- Zheng, H., Tham, L.G., and Liu, D.F. (2006). "On two
definitions of the factor of safety commonly used in the finite element slope
stability analysis." Computers and Geotechnics, 33(3), 188-195.
Ng, A.M.Y., Yeung, A.T., Lee P.K.K., and Tham, L.G. (2006). "Design, fabrication, and assembly of
a large oedometer." Geotechnical Testing Journal, ASTM, 29(4), 298-305.
Yeung,A.T., Mok, K.Y., Tham, L.G., Lee P.K.K., and Pei, G. (2006). "Use of inert C&D
materials for seawall foundation: A field-scale pilot test." Resources, Conservation and
Recycling, 47(4), 375-393.
Tang, C.A., Zhang, Y.B. Liang, Z.Z., Xu, T., Tham, L.G., Lindqvist, P.A., Kou, S.Q., and Liu, H.Y. (2006). "Fracture
spacing in layered materials and pattern transition from parallel to polygonal fractures
Physics Review E, 73(5), Art. No. 056120 Part 2.
Yang, J., Tham, L.G., Lee, P.K.K., Chan S.T., and Yu, F. (2006). "Behaviour of jacked and
driven piles in sandy soil." Geotechnique, 56(4), 245-259.
Zheng, H., Tham, L.G.. and Liu, D.F. (2006). "Direct solution of near-symmetric matrices and
its applications." Rock and Soil Mechanics, 27(11), 1880-1884.
Chen, Z.H., Tham, L.G., Yeung, M.R., and Xie, H. (2006). "Confinement effects for damage and
failure of brittle rocks." International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Science,
Yang, T.H., Lium, J., Zhu, W.C., Elsworth, D., Tham, L.G., and Tang, C.A. (2007). "A coupled
flow-stress-damage model for groundwater outbursts from an underlying aquifer
into mining, excavations." International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences,
Tang, C.A., Tham, L.G., Wang, S.H., Liu, H., and Li, W.H. (2007). "A numerical study of the influence
of heterogeneity on the strength characterization of rock under uniaxial tension."
Mechancis of Materials, 38, 326-339.
Yeung, A.T., Cheng, Y.M., Tham, L.G., Au, A.S,K., So S.T.C., and Choi, Y.K. (2007). "Field
evaluation of a glass-fiber soil reinforcement system." Journal of Performance of
Constructed Facilities, ASCE, 21(1), 26-34.