Associate Professor (Environmental Engineering)
Ir Dr. Tong ZHANG
BSc (Eng), Nanjing University, China
MPhil, Nanjing University, China
PhD, The University of Hong Kong, China
Office: HW 6-31
Phone: +852 28578551
Fax: +852 25595337
- CIVL 1005 Environmental Engineering (ZSU)
- CIME 2001 Water and Air Quality: Concepts and Measurements
- CIVL 2001 Engr. Design & Communication
- CIVL 3007 Environmental Impact Assessment of Civil Engineering Projects
- CIVL 6006 Advanced Water and Wastewater Treatment
- ENVM 7014 Environmental Quality Management
- Wastewater engineering : Saline wastewater treatment
- Environmental microbiology : Drinking water biofilm
- Environmental bioresources : Anaerobic membrane technology
- Environmental toxicology related to wastewater treatment
Research / Consultancy Projects
- Fates of antibiotics resistant bacteria and genes in sewage treatment plants. 2012-2014. HKU 7201/11E. Supported by Hong Kong GRF (RGC). (ongoing)
- Quantification of antibiotics residues and microbial antibiotic-resistant genes in fish ponds and marine culture zones of Hong Kong. 2010-2012. ECF 35/2009. Supported by Hong Kong Environment Conservation Fund. (ongoing)
- Removal mechanisms of personal care products in activated sludge and anaerobic digestion processes. 2011-2013. 7198/10E. Supported by Hong Kong GRF (RGC). (ongoing)
- Biodegradation/biotransformation and adsorption of antibiotics in sewage and sludge treatment processes. 2010-2012. 7202/09E. Supported by Hong Kong GRF (RGC). (ongoing)
- Partial nitrification from ammonia to nitrite by enriched ammonia-oxidizing Archaea in sewage. 2009-2011. 7197/08E. Supported by Hong Kong GRF (RGC). (ongoing)
- Microbial diversity and characteristics of activated sludge treating Hong Kong's saline sewage. 2007-2010. HKU 7195/06E. Supported by Hong Kong GRF (RGC). (completed)
Zhang T, Shao MF, Ye L. 2011. 454 Pyrosequencing reveals bacterial diversity of activated sludge from 14 sewage treatment plants
(accepted, in press).
Zhang T, Zhang XX, Ye L. 2011. Plasmid metagenome reveals high levels of antibiotic resistance genes and mobile genetic
elements in activated sludge.PLoS ONE. 6(10), e26041.
Chao Y, Zhang T. 2011. Probing roles of lipopolysaccharide, fimbria and colanic acid in the attachment of Escherichia coli strains
on inert surfaces. Langmuir. 27, 11545-11553.
Ye L, Zhang T. 2011. Pathogenic bacteria in sewage treatment plants as revealed by 454 pyrosequencing.
Environmental Science and Technology. 45(17), 7173¨C7179.
Zhang T, Li B. 2011. Occurrence, transformation and fate of antibiotics in municipal wastewater treatment plants.
Critical Review on Environmental Science and Technology. 41, 951-998.
Zhang XX, Zhang T. 2011. Occurrence, abundance and diversity of tetracycline resistance genes in 15 sewage treatment plants
across China and other global locations. Environmental Science and Technology. 45(7), 2598-604.
Zhang T, Chao Y, Shih K, Li XY, Fang HHP. 2011. Quantification of the lateral detachment force for bacteria cells using
atomic force microscope and centrifugation. Ultramicroscopy. 111, 131¨C139.
Li B Zhang T. 2010. Biodegradation and adsorption of antibiotics in the activated sludge process.
Environmental Science and Technology. 44 (9), 3468-3473.
Li B, Zhang T, Xu ZY, Fang HHP. 2009. Rapid analysis of 21 antibiotics of multiple classes in municipal wastewater using
ultra performance liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. Analytica Chimica Acta. 645, 64-72.
Zhang T, Zhang M, Zhang XX, Fang HHP. 2009. Tetracycline resistance genes and tetracycline resistant lactose-fermenting
Enterobacteriaceae in activated sludge of sewage treatment plants. Environmental Science and Technology.
More information of Dr. T. Zhang is available at: